See here is another great brussels sprouts recipe. Happy Holidays! -Urban Healthy Chick
Sriracha Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Almonds and Coconut
3 cups quartered brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons Woodland Foods Sriracha Seasoning Blend
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 400°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Toss brussels sprouts with olive oil and Sriracha Seasoning Blend. Pour a single layer of brussels sprouts on the sheet pan, and roast in the oven until the edges start to brown and the sprouts start to become tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and add the almonds and coconut to the pan, tossing until evenly incorporated. Continue baking until the sprouts are tender and the nuts start to brown, about 5 to 8 additional minutes. Add additional seasoning to cooked sprouts if needed.
Makes about 4 servings.
I know many say brussels sprouts are horrible, but give them a chance this holiday season. Happy Holidays to you and your family! 🙂
- Brussels sprouts…I know please give them a chance. They have bad PR department. Giggle.
- All types’ of tea either loose leaf or bagged. My favorite is green tea with pomegranate via Bigelow. Also I like Teavana tea as well follow them at @Teavana.
- Cous Cous cooks up quickly and is filling, which makes it awesome.
- Seeds and nuts are great for a quick snack. My top two are almonds and pistachios. Pistachios are great for digestion.
- Sweetgreen is a restaurant in DC that makes something I love….salads. Follow them at @sweetgreen. Honorable mention to HipCityVeg (@HipCityVeg), which makes tasty reasonable priced vegetarian food as well as delivers in Philadelphia, PA.
- Hmart because of their beautiful fresh fruits, vegetables, and ginger tea, which is great for colds. Also they have vacuum packed tofu, which is hard to find. Here is there website. http://www.hmart.com/
- My rice cooker and vegetable steamer by Black and Decker. http://bit.ly/1cOwsZk
- A local lady who is doing great work bringing tasty vegetarian food to Philadelphia’s Germantown area. You can follow her at @UptownSoulFood.
- Trader Joe’s has some of my favorite foods, which are the following: Salmon burgers, Masala Burgers, Japanese Rice, and Falafel Balls. Also the former CEO is engaged in a new endeavor to bring expired quality food to citizens. See the article http://n.pr/1jhMVvC
- Walgreens because I love everything that they are doing to improve society’s healthcare. The ACOs, mobile apps, eradicating food deserts, and the new Well Experience store format. Walgreens is tied with Aetna for 10th place. Aetna is having great success with differentiating itself in the payer market via population health, mobile apps, and being a pioneer in customer engagement.
Honorable mention goes to Nike, which has been leveraging social media to increase their market share of their running shoe. I grew up wearing Nike, so I am biased.
I never thought that I would be discussing romance and apps. However, there is famous saying that is often quoted, “There is an app for that!” Hula app helps with an important public health issue STD testing. Studies say that from November to Valentine’s Day is a busy time for online dating, so why not get an app to learn your partner’s STD status, so in comes Hula.
The mobile application is called Hula, which is currently only available on iOS. The application is a middle man between the patient and the healthcare provider. Information is only available to the patient and the intended partner. There is no sharing to Facebook. Hula staff is well trained to interrupt the results. The application can assist you with finding testing centers, set reminders to get tested, and gives date/time stamps for when you are tested.
I say Kudos! to Hula for making a helpful mobile app. Here’s why:
- It makes a difficult conversation a little less so.
- Those in under-served areas are users of mobile technology, so this is accessible to them. The issue of the digital divide is addressed.
- The patient’s privacy concerns are addressed.
- One’s testing results should be easily accessible and understood by consumers themselves.
- Hula is being a role model for other mobile applications.
- Most importantly this app is efficiently addressing our nation’s public health organizations ability to test for STDs.
You can download Hula at:
This post is inspired by Gov Corbett’s change of heart related to the ACA. This governor has shown that he doesn’t care about anyone students, ill citizens, or being reelected, it appeared. Please remember he was one of the governors that initially fought the ACA per Republican playbook. Gov Corbett has conveniently decided to roll-out a form of ACA in PA, since it is reelection time. In his roll out, he has added a part time or “job search” requirement. These job search activities are really a way of supporting his supporters than run large non profits training programs for the state welfare department in poor and high unemployment communities. We can look to Pres. Clinton’s results from his welfare to work program to see that it was minimally successful in fixing income inequalities in America. Next, if a citizen misses a certain number of premium payments, then they will be cancelled from their insurance program. In the end this all is an attempt for Gov Corbett to say that he tried to work with President Obama to provide healthcare to PA citizens, yet received no support from the Democrats.
In the link, I have provided information about upcoming town hall meetings. Please attend, if you can. http://www.pa.gov/Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?agency=PAGovNews&item=15063
The governor cuts education funding, but increases prison funding.
This is Corbett’s job creation record as governor of the state of PA.
His approach to healthcare as the governor.
When you are either a vegetarian or on a diet holidays can be Awkward!!!
In the weeks ahead, I will be offering some words of support and tweets to assist you with eating healthy. I have embedded a video about an important seed named quinoa, which is very tasty, healthy, and versatile. In the video, there is a soup with quinoa mentioned that you can explore, which is very tasty. Hope the video is helpful.